7 Quick Tuesday Takes
Don’t you hate when Monday walks up to you, smacks you around, steps on your lunch, and walks away laughing? Yeah, that was my Monday. I feel like the rain today (after a good span of beautiful sunny days) was brought on by me because I felt like rain when I went to bed last night.
1. My friend Nicole’s brother had a heart attack and died over the weekend. I don’t know his exact age, but it was around 40. I feel so sad for my friend and her family; this must be an unbearable shock. Beyond that, being nearly six years from 40, myself, this is terrifying.
2. I was passed over for an opportunity that I wanted very much. Can’t say much more other than to say that I am significantly bummed out.
3. Not doing a good job in my battle with the scale. Need to get a grip and just… friggin… focus.
4. Attended my first Catholic wedding over the weekend. Wow, talk about the land that women’s lib missed. The ceremony was full of statements about being overjoyed with all the children God grants you (no “if” statements, all very “you WILL procreate!”), about how the husband needs to “be patient with” the wife and how the wife needs “to be nice” to the husband (ohhhhhmg, my head almost exploded), about how the families will be concerned whether “he spoils her as she should be” and whether “she will cook like his mamma”. OH. MY. F’ING. GOD. I don’t live in a bubble; I know there are issues with the Catholic church but I never experienced it before. Holy jeez indeed.
5. Speaking of women’s lib, check out this really insane idea: basically, an Ohio bill is proposing that women get a note from a man before they get an abortion. You know, like getting a note for skipping gym class or missing school because you don’t feel well. If you don’t know who the father is, no abortion for you (sexually liberated women must just suck it up and deal). If it’s rape or incest, you have to prove it first. Sure, no problem – that’s always easy to do. Every bit of this makes me sick.
6. That said, I’m reaching a negativity limit. I can’t take all the complaining and soap-boxing and criticism I run into online every day. I’m sensitive to criticism and to argument and it’s getting really wearing to read this stuff every day. Is there a website where people talk about life with a hopeful and optimistic, but still funny and snarky tone?
7. On a lighter note, the hubby and I have been living in our apartment for five months now and we still have only hung up one picture (and that one only because it’s huge and it behooves us to have it hanging on the wall rather than in the hallway, on the floor). I want to do a little craft project and do a fabric cover for my corkboard and finally figure out what wedding photos I want to print and frame around the apartment. Just need money and time. Anyone got some to spare?